New Voices is a student-powered nonpartisan grassroots movement of state-based activists who seek to protect student press freedom with state laws. These laws counteract the impact of the 1988 Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier Supreme Court decision, which dramatically changed the balance of student press rights. New Voices supporters include advocates in law, education, journalism and civics who want schools and colleges to be more welcoming places for student voices.
NEW: Take Action in Your State
Looking for a way to make a difference in your community? Use this state-by-state guide to find out exactly what you can do to restore and protect student press freedom, no matter where you live.
The 2023 legislative year is underway. As of February 3, 2023, New Voices bills have been introduced in Connecticut, Missouri, New York and West Virginia. States are just beginning their legislative sessions, and more bills are expected.
For more information or to get involved, contact New Voices Advocacy and Organizing Director Hillary Davis at email@example.com. Along with your contact information (including city and state), please indicate if you’re a student, educator or other interested party.
Here are the 16 states with laws that protect the First Amendment rights of student journalists:
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- Oregon (high school) (college)
- Rhode Island
Read the specifics about the laws and regulations here. In addition, Virginia law protects the rights of college students only, and there are codes protecting the rights of student journalists in the District of Columbia and Pennsylvania.
During state legislative sessions in 2018, bills were introduced in seven states and passed into law in one (Washington).
Key tools and resources
- Model resolution to introduce to your City Council in support of New Voices legislation - Talk with your city, county or town council members about introducing this model resolution to show your community's support for the student press.
- Script for Contacting Legislators - Use this phone script and tips and for contacting your legislator and encouraging them to support legislation protecting student press freedom.
- Who New Voices Protects - Does your state have legislation protecting student press freedom? Let's talk about which states have which laws.
- A free press shouldn’t stop at the schoolyard
- Journalism Education Association – Scholastic Press Rights Committee
- 2016 report: College Student Journalism Under Fire
- New Voices Idaho Study: A Survey and Recommendations for Other States