Current Status: The New Mexico legislative session begins in January. To join the movement, email the SPLC’s Advocacy and Organizing Team at email@example.com.
Join the Movement
- Read our model New Voices bill and talk with SPLC’s New Voices Advocacy and Organizing Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) about what would work best in New Mexico.
- Contact your state legislators to let them know why this legislation is important to you. Find out who your legislators are here. Not sure what to say? Check out our phone script and letter-writing tips here.
Other Ways to Get Involved
- Refine your thoughts with talking points, find answers to frequently asked questions, or find other resources here.
- Locate a copy of your school district’s student media or student expression policy. This toolkit can tell you everything you need to know about your policy and what you can do with it. Some student media policies offer legal protection equal to or even exceeding New Voices protections. If that’s the case, spread the word! (And let SPLC know, too.)
- Help your colleagues better understand student press freedom by inviting an SPLC expert to join you: SPLC In The Classroom.
- Spread the word about New Voices. Enlist all your friends in New Mexico to raise their voices in support of this measure, which ensures the basic First Amendment rights of student journalists and protects their advisers from retaliation.
Why New Mexico needs New Voices
You can see the list of national endorsers at the bottom of this page.