For the second time, New York is considering New Voices legislation to protect student press freedom. A3079, sponsored by Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo, and S2297A, sponsored by Senator Brian Kavanagh, were introduced in the New York state legislature in January 2019.
On April 30, 2019, more than 80 high school journalists, their advisers and other supporters traveled to Albany to meet with lawmakers. While there, the advocates held a news conference to bring attention to the need for New Voices legislation.
The New York State Assembly is in session; hearings have not yet been scheduled on these bills.
- Contact your state legislators to let them know why this legislation is important to you. Find out who your senator is here, and your assemblymember here. Not sure what to say? Check out our phone script and letter-writing tips here.
- Learn the basics about the New York Senate, and the Assembly.
- Get your friends and colleagues involved. Download and share this flier, find answers to frequently asked questions, or find other resources here.
- Follow and share content from @NewVoicesNY on Twitter.
- Like and share posts on the New Voices of New York Facebook page.
- Get looped in with volunteer coordinators to let them know about your efforts. And, please get in touch if you are or were a student journalist (or adviser) who was the target of censorship, intimidation or retaliation:
Why New York needs New Voices
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier
- Another Voice: Legislation is needed to empower student journalists The Buffalo News (5-16-19)
- Hundreds of issues of the Maroon-News stolen, members of swim team found responsible Student Press Law Center (11-20-2018)
- Not “fake news:” National award celebrates tenacious New York City high school journalists whose reporting forced school leadership change Student Press Law Center (11-16-17)
- The principal censored this paper; the staff says it’s because a student critiqued teachers’ performance The New York Post (4-30-17)
- N.Y.’s tongue-tied student journalists New York Daily News (3-30-2017)
You can see the list of national endorsers at the bottom of this page.
- Bill would provide more protections for student journalists, The Legislative Gazette, (5/14/2019), Albany, NY
- New York students rally in Albany for freedom of the press – Bill would make it harder to censor student journalists (4/30/2019), Times Union, Albany, NY
- Guarantee free speech rights to NY students, (4/30/2019) Post-Standard, Syracuse, NY.
- Capitol Pressroom: Student Journalism radio interviews, (4/30/2019) WCNY, Syracuse, NY.
- Editorial: Protect young journalists, (429/2019) Times Union, Albany, NY
- Student journalism: an endangered species, (3/21/2019) Pelham Examiner.
- Legislative Resolution Recognizes Student Press Freedom Day, (1-30-2019) New York Assemblywoman Donna A. Lupardo (D-123rd District)
- CityViews: NY Legislators Ought to Protect Student Press Freedom (4-26-2018) CityLimits.org
- Corning students visit NY Capitol to push for free speech for school publications, (4-24-2018) Press & Sun Bulletin, Binghamton, NY
- NY should extend free press rights to students, (2-15-2018) The Post-Standard, Syracuse, NY
- Give our youngest truth-seekers their First Amendment rights, Democrat & Chronicle,Rochester, NY (1-25-2018)