After three years in the courts, OccidentalCollege and former student radio show host Jason Antebi reached a settlement inAntebi's case -- which alleged that college officials defamed him and that the college violated his free-speech rights by firing him -- theFoundation for Individual Rights in Education announced in an Oct. 19 press release. The exact terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but Stuart Tochner, outside counsel for Occidental, told the Los Angeles Daily News that the settlement was for a nominal sum, and that Occidental admitted no wrongdoing.
First Amendment advocates say a recent California Supreme Court decision not to hear an appeal from a former Occidental College radio host has left a gaping hole in California’s Leonard Law, which affords freedom of expression protection to private college students.
The California State Supreme Court has refused to review shock jock Jason Antebi’s censorship lawsuit against Occidental College, letting stand a lower court's ruling that he did not have legal standing to sue the university because he already graduated.
Lawyers for former Occidental College shock jock Jason Antebi filed a brief with the California State Supreme Court last week asking it to review a court ruling that said he had no legal standing to sue the university for censorship because he had already graduated.
A state appeals court ruled in August that a former Occidental College student lacked legal standing to sue the school for firing him after he made controversial comments on-air because he had already graduated by the time he filed the lawsuit.
Antebi sued the college for violating his rights in March under a California statue that protects free expression at private schools, a year after he was fired from his radio show and censured for sexual harassment over his on-air comments.