Student journalists are on the frontlines of protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis on May 25. Through their coverage, students are keeping their communities informed on protests, curfews and local government response, despite attacks from police and risk of exposure to COVID-19.
In order to recognize and express our appreciation for student journalists and their continued hard work, the Student Press Law Center has compiled a list featuring protest coverage from around the country.
Has your student publication been covering the protests?
We want to add your stories to this list.
Email Danielle Dieterich at email@example.com with the subject line “My protest coverage” and a link to your story or stories.
And check out SPLC’s guide to covering protests, where you’ll find a clear explanation of your rights as a journalist, practical coverage tips and advice:
- The A&T Register — North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro, NC
- The Battalion — Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Clypian — South Salem High School, Salem, OR
- Police Join Protestors Honoring George Floyd During Monday’s Vigil
- Police and Protestors Clash Again on Day Two of Salem Protests
- Salem Protests Turn Violent: Tear Gas and Flash Bombs Used to Disperse Crowds
- See more protest stories from Clypian
- The Collegian — California State University: Fresno
- The Daily Brun — UCLA
- Daily Forty-Niner — California State University: Long Beach
- The Daily Lobo — The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- The Daily Universe — Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- The DePaulia/ La DePaulia — DePaul University, Chicago
- The Eastern Progress — Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY
- Echo — St. Louis Park High School, St. Louis Park, MN
- The Emory Wheel — Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Indiana Daily Student — Indiana State University
- KentWired.com — Kent State University, Kent, OH
- The Lantern — Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- The Los Angeles Loyolan — Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA
- The Loyola Phoenix — Loyola University Chicago
- The Mac Weekly — Macalaster College, St, Paul, MN
- NCCLinked — North Central College, Naperville, IL
- The Nevada Sagebrush — University of Nevada Reno
- The Poly Post — California State Polytechnic University, Pamona, CA
- The Setonian — Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- The Simmons Voice — Simmons University, Boston, MA
- The Summer Evergreen — Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- The Technician — NC State University, Raleigh, NC
- U-High Midway — University of Chicago Laboratory High School, Chicago, IL