Every month the Student Press Law Center publishes a list of paid journalism internships. Here are some internships with upcoming deadlines.
Student Press Law Center (Washington D.C.)
• Journalism Interns – The Student Press Law Center is seeking passionate student journalists with an interest in justice. We’re looking for self-starting, experienced young reporters to chronicle student media organizations in perilous times, recognize trends in student media and help SPLC expand its audience and impact.
• Legal Interns – The Student Press Law Center is searching for law students who aspire to protect First Amendment rights and demonstrate a commitment to the principles of press freedom. Legal interns will work closely with SPLC Senior Legal Counsel and conduct legal research, help refine legal guides and fact sheets and write stories for the SPLC.org website.
Applications due Jan. 31, 2020 for summer 2020.
Report for America (Various locations)
- Yearlong fellowship – Report for America is recruiting journalists across the nation to apply for their yearlong fellowship where if selected, they will serve in newsrooms in under-covered areas, serving local communities with information they deserve to know in order to hold institutions accountable.
The Gazette Internship Internship (Colorado Springs, C.O.)
- Summer News Intern – The Gazette, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, is hiring interns to write for any news section of the paper and online sites. Interns play an integral part in publishing the local daily newspaper as well as online editions and updating social media channels. *The Gazette is offering both paid and unpaid, for credit summer internships.
NBC News Internships (Various locations)
- Summer Reporting Internships – Internship opportunities are available to students in various departments at NBC News. Some responsibilities of journalism interns include conducting research for stories and leads; finding, contacting and setting up interviews with sources; and contributing to print reports that are posted on NBCNews.com.
American Association for the Advancement of Science Internships (Washington D.C.)
- Diverse Voices in Science Journalism Internship – The American Association for the Advancement of Science is searching for qualified students to be part of their Diverse Voices in Science Journalism Internship program. Students who are interested in science journalism can apply for this internship where they will work under award-winning reporters and editors and will contribute to the weekly news section of the AAAS’s Science magazine.
CBS News Internships (Various locations)
- Summer Internships – CBS News is offering internships for departments and programs that include “CBS This Morning,” “Face the Nation,” and “The Evening News.” According to the CBS job description, interns will learn fundamental news-gathering skills by researching stories, conducting preliminary interviews and assisting during shoots and more.
NPR Internships (Washington D.C.)
- Summer Internships – NPR will open up internship applications in February Interns at NPR have the opportunity to work alongside professionals in the field and get hands-on responsibilities in their roles.
WETA Internship (Washington D.C.)
- Summer Internship – WETA, the public broadcasting station for D.C., is hiring summer interns who are interested in public broadcasting. Outside of their daily tasks, interns may participate in tours of public broadcasting facilities, learning sessions with managers and opportunities to sit in on live broadcasts.
No deadline listed
CNN News Internships (Various locations)
- Summer 2020 Internships – CNN is hiring interns in almost 100 various departments to assist correspondents and producers in planning and creating content for their several global news programs and websites.
Reuters Internships (Various locations)
- 2020 Reuters Journalism Internship – Reuters is looking for passionate, curious aspiring journalists to apply for their 2020 internship. The opportunity will give interns an opportunity to do hands-on reporting on business, political and general news for a readership that consists of millions.
Did we miss any? Send internship information to Alicia Thomas by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter. The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists and their advisers.