Every month, the Student Press Law Center publishes a list of paid journalism internships. Here are a bunch of fall internship opportunities with upcoming deadlines. Did we miss any? Send an email to SPLC reporter Ginny Bixby to get internship information added.
Student Press Law Center
- Journalism Internship — Join our small and scrappy team! The Student Press Law Center is seeking accomplished college journalists for paid internships in Washington, D.C. We’re seeking self-starting storytellers to chronicle student media organizations in perilous times, recognize trends in student media and help SPLC expand its audience and impact. Applications due July 22.
NPR (Various locations)
- Fall Internships — We are looking for students and recent graduates who are intelligent, creative, and curious. We need strong researchers and excellent writers who work well on diverse teams and can also thrive with individual assignments. From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Fox 40 (Sacramento, Calif.)
- News Internship — The FOX40 Newsroom is bustling with activity from the wee hours of the morning until well into late evening. The product delivered over the air each morning and evening, and online 24/7, is the result of the hard work of the behind-the-scenes writers, gatherers, producers and editors.
- Fall Internship — Internship experiences range from production and newsroom opportunities across all media platforms to promotions and administration, all supervised by award-winning professionals.
Student Press Law Center (Washington, D.C.)
- Journalism Internship — Join our small and scrappy team! The Student Press Law Center is seeking accomplished college journalists for paid internships in Washington, D.C. We’re seeking self-starting storytellers to chronicle student media organizations in perilous times, recognize trends in student media and help SPLC expand its audience and impact.
ABC 11 (Durham, N.C.)
- News Internship — This internship will sharpen your news judgment, give you real-life newsroom experience, give you knowledge of how national and local government agencies operate, provide you with an opportunity to work on local and national stories for broadcast, get the opportunity to investigate criminal and consumer cases at local courthouses and government agencies
Slate (New York)
- Editorial Internship — Candidates for the New York editorial internship must be available to work in Slate’s Brooklyn office up to 40 hours per week. They must be highly organized, have a proven interest in the arts, and be very familiar with Slate’s Culture section. They must also be able to work quickly, efficiently, and without much supervision. Strong writing and editing skills are required.
- Editorial Fellowship — Chicago magazine’s editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
International Center for Journalists (Washington, D.C.)
- Programs Internship — The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) seeks a paid intern for our programs department. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The internship is a great opportunity to build foundational experience in how international programs are run through tasks that involve coordinating travel logistics, maintaining databases, conducting due diligence, tracking finances, monitoring and evaluating projects, communicating impact through the Web and social media, researching media innovation for project development and other administrative tasks.
- IJNet Communications Internship — The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) seeks a part-time, paid intern for the International Journalists’ Network (IJNet), ICFJ’s online publication focused on journalism tips, tools and opportunities. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and internship dates are flexible. The internship is a great opportunity to build foundational experience in digital publishing and international journalism through tasks that involve managing social media, designing and coordinating engagement activities, tracking analytics and evaluating audience growth. Interns will also have the opportunity to contribute written and multimedia content for publishing on the website.
No Posted Deadline
Telemundo 20 (San Diego)
- Fall News & Digital Intern — NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego Internships provide students with real world experience and exposure to working in television industry.
amNY.com (New York)
- Fall Internship — amNY.com is looking for interns for fall. Depending upon the department, interns can be News or Features focused, but all are thoughtful in breaking news situations – able to think and act quickly to file copy and interview witnesses on the scene. The ideal candidates are meticulous, detail-minded journalists and self-motivated team players with endless ideas about online storytelling. Pluses: You are comfortable taking photos, as well as shooting and cutting social videos. Interns work out of amNewYork’s midtown office and in the field.
NBC4 LA (Los Angeles)
- Digital Journalism Fall Internship — The NBCUniversal Internship Program is an experience like no other. We offer diversity of opportunities, with unique internships across our iconic portfolio of brands. Through unparalleled access to the best in the business, hands-on training & one-of-a-kind networking events, our interns have the chance to influence change. Our interns are ambitious, innovative and savvy; they shape the way we do things. Here you can contribute as content creators, problem solvers & innovators. Here you can learn the power and possibilities of media and technology. Here you can go far. The Digital Journalism Internship Program is an opportunity for driven students to take their skill set to the next level. This is a rigorous program designed exclusively for students who already have a mastery of reporting, writing and AP style who are ready to learn more.
CNN (Washington, D.C.)
- Newsgathering Fall Internship — Newsgathering Interns will learn how CNN plans stories and orchestrates live breaking news coverage and daily programming. Interns will shadow and assist coverage managers, assignment editors, beat leaders, producers, live producers, photojournalists and news assistants.
- CNNPolitics.com Fall Internship — Interns will learn how to operate as a reporter in a fast-paced breaking news environment, writing up quick stories on the news of the moment and working with CNN digital editors. They’ll also have the opportunity to pitch original content and share bylines with some of the most famous reporters in Washington, writing on everything from the White House to Congress and the 2020 race.
- Investigative Unit Fall Internship — The Special Investigations intern will specifically shadow and observe Investigative Unit producers, video editors, and others involved in reporting and producing investigations out of CNN’s Washington D.C. Bureau. The intern will learn how to conduct research, assist in production, assist in reporting stories, and help develop stories for investigations that will appear across CNN’s shows and platforms, including on-line at CNN’s award-winning, widely seen news site, CNN.com. The intern will also assist with video and photo research and whenever possible accompany producers on shoots in the field in the Washington D.C. area.
- Transportation/Agencies Reporting Internship (Washington, D.C.) — Work under the direction of the unit producers, assist with researching stories, setting up interviews, pitching story ideas, logging hearings or press conferences, and occasionally assisting out in the field on shoots, assist the correspondents with day-of-air stories and long-term projects
- Justice/Investigative Unit Internship (Washington, D.C.) — Work under the direction of the unit producers, assist with researching stories, setting up interviews, pitching story ideas, logging tapes, and occasionally assisting out in the field on shoots, assist the correspondents with day-of-air stories and long-term projects
- “This Week” D.C. Bureau Production Internship (Washington, D.C.) — As an intern with “This Week” you are an integral part of the editorial team. Some of your responsibilities may include: Contributing ideas during editorial pitch meetings, curating background research for headliner interviews and roundtable segments, transcribing prerecorded interviews, supporting with live show production on Sunday mornings, including guest greeting, publishing digital stories summarizing headliner interviews after the show
- “World News Tonight” Production Internship (New York) — Interns will be responsible for supporting all aspects of productions, conducting video and editorial research, logging tape and sourcing and clearing video, pitching stories and booking interviews, assisting with the administrative duties of the office
- Specialized Units Production/Reporting Internship (New York) — Interns will be responsible for digitizing and logging content, researching and writing news stories, assisting in booking, pitching original story ideas and researching characters, various administrative duties including sensitive show information
FiveThirtyEight (New York)
- Sports Data Reporting Internship — Aspiring journalists will have the chance to pitch their own stories and collaborate with the best reporters and editors in data journalism as a member of our Sports team. The internship will be a mix of writing, research and data-mining, and fact-checking.
Washington Monthly (Washington, D.C)
- Fall Editorial Internship — The Washington Monthly is looking for thoughtful, creative, driven interns. We have a small staff that produces big stories, so expect to work closely with editors on our website and bimonthly print magazine. This is not a place where interns fetch coffee and observe journalism from the sidelines; you’ll be expected to research and fact check stories, pitch your own stories for the site, and help manage our social media accounts.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our occasional News Roundup.