Every month, the Student Press Law Center makes a list of paid journalism internships. It’s not too late to apply for a great summer internship at premier outlets like American Public Media, The Daily Beast, The Nation and major broadcasters.
Did we miss any? Send an email to SPLC reporter Cory Dawson to get internship information added.
American Public Media (St. Paul, Minn.)
- “Terrible, Thanks for Asking” Podcast Intern — This internship opportunity will help build capacity in the largest and fastest growing podcast property for APM On Demand. It will also introduce the intern who might be outside of public media to the world of audio, helping us be a leader in diversifying the workforce in public media.
The Nation (New York City)
- Editorial Intern — Editorial interns experience a comprehensive immersion into The Nation and TheNation.com’s editorial processes. Interns’ primary responsibilities include fact-checking for the magazine and website, providing research support to Nation writers and editors, and assisting with production on TheNation.com. Interns are not expected to arrive with fact-checking or digital media experience and will be extensively trained in those areas, though a familiarity with The Nation and the range of issues we cover is essential.
American Public Media (St. Paul, Minn.)
- Digital Writing and Reporting Internship —This internship will help the newsroom with providing digital first content – including video, social posts and stories told in alternative formats. Interns will also assist the newsroom in producing MPR’s website, various social channels and working on distribution of MPR’s content, help with growing MPR’s social engagement, video views, as well as growing new users, and participate in the planning stages of coverage of the 2020 election.
Minnesota Public Radio (St. Paul, Minn.)
- Newsroom Diversity Fellow — The Fellow will participate in four rotations within the newsroom. The rotations will include reporting and digital production, and two other rotations that might involve show production, newscast writing/editing, or other areas of focus. A supervisor will be assigned to manage the Fellow’s overall experience. In addition, within each rotation, a mentor will be assigned to help with day-to-day assignments and guidance. The Fellow will be immersed within the team and be given the opportunity to learn from established media professionals at the top of their field.
Univision (Los Angeles)
- News Content Production Intern — The intern will work directly with producers, reporters, assignment desk editors, and other staff. Interns will learn how to create multimedia content and/or curate content including but not limited to writing copy, shoot and edit video, take and/or Photoshop photos, research stories, conduct pre-interviews, suggest captions and headlines, may go out in the field to gather content, log interviews, do fact checking, and post content to various platforms. They will have the opportunity of having their work supervised by professionals and learn from top journalists in their markets.
NCAA Digital/Turner Broadcasting (Atlanta)
- Post-Grad Digital Intern — NCAA Digital Editorial interns write, edit and produce original content for NCAA Digital covering all 90 NCAA championships. In this role, you’ll be asked to produce a wide range of work – from the very basic publishing of wire stories, press releases and weekly polls to generating your own original stories. You’ll learn how to best lure readers with effective headlines and teases for all delivery – desktop, mobile, newsletters or partners. You’ll be asked to write quick daily “buzz” posts across a variety of subjects. You’ll develop a strong understanding of social networking sites and how they can help us reach more readers as well as help develop stories. You may be asked to cover NCAA Championships on site for the website and digital products.
American Public Media (Los Angeles)
- Marketplace Intern — Interns will learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape. They write show promos, do daily station updates, and prepare other materials. Interns contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material, conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests, produce interviews for the show and do database and web projects.
The Daily Beast (New York City)
- Video Intern — The Daily Beast is seeking a dependable, self-motivated, and inquisitive intern with a strong interest in online video production and post-production to join our video team full time in New York this summer. Duties will include pitching, editing, and producing mashups and other original content across social formats. Our intern will also work with our video partners to adapt their original content for The Daily Beast.
- Photo/Editorial Assistant — The Daily Beast is seeking a dependable, self-motivated, and inquisitive intern with a strong interest in photojournalism, illustration and photo editing to join our photo team in New York this Summer. Duties will include photo editing, creating original illustrations, creating original graphics for our social team and aiding our cheat team with visuals. The ideal candidate will have a background in journalism as well as art.
Fox40 (Sacramento, Calif.)
- News Internship — Assist the Assignment Desk in researching story ideas and coordinating crews of reporters and photographers in their daily assignments. Tasks may include retrieving file materials, answering telephones, making beat checks, and assisting assignment editors and reporters in setting up coverage plans. Support live news broadcasts with program content creation. Tasks may include writing scripts for live newscasts, creating graphic elements and assisting in story research. Assist the Web Producers in story research and writing, use social media to gather information or share station content, and video publishing. Tasks may include conducting internet searches, scanning and reading multiple news sources, writing posts for station social media accounts, creating content for station’s website.
No Listed Deadline
ABC (Various Locations)
- News/Digital Producer Intern (Houston) — As an intern you will gain valuable experience in all areas related to producing a television newscast – including the important relationship between our broadcast and digital platforms.Interested candidates should have a strong desire to pursue a career as a multi-platform producer and willing to receive continual feedback. Will have an opportunity to attend production meetings, research news topics, and learn how to prioritize assignments.
- ABC11 Summer News Intern (Durham, N.C.) — Interns will have the opportunity to experience what it takes to work at a local television station. Student will learn about the news gathering process, on air execution, and behind-the-scenes technology.
The Boston Globe
- Summer Intern Program – Interns will work in the news department as general assignment reporters. Other interns will be hired for the sports, living/arts, and business departments. There are also intern positions in the photography department, and on the news copy desk. Interns will research and write articles along with assisting on larger projects and tasks based on the department they are placed in.
CBS (New York)
- CBS News Summer Intern — Placement possibilities include The Evening News, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, CBS This Morning, CBS This Morning: Saturday, Sunday Morning, Newspath, News Radio, Talent Strategy, National Desk, CBSN, Press Office, Weekend News, News Marketing and the Investigative Unit. Assignments vary day-to-day and duties vary in each department. Interns can expect to learn fundamental news-gathering skills, find, confirm and report news stories, greet guests, log tapes, coordinate script, research stories, conduct preliminary interviews, assist during shoots, select footage, perform light clerical duties and assist producers and talent.
Chicago Magazine (Chicago)
- Editorial Internship — Chicago magazine’s editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
CNN (Los Angeles)
- CNN-LA News Internship — Interns will be working at logging/filing video, transcribing field interviews, researching stories/information related to current events/people in the news (as assigned), assisting with teleprompters, assisting with field shoots as needed. Responsibilities also include assisting in editing and describing video; answering phones and participating in various newsroom and production activities.
The Contemporary (Remote)
- The Contemporary College Student Correspondent — Correspondents will develop story ideas with The Contemporary’s editorial team and report on topics of their interest. Correspondents will be responsible for meeting deadlines set jointly with editors, helping to find photographs and/or graphics for their stories, and adhering to a code of journalistic ethics. Correspondents are paid $100 per article and earn incentives based on audience involvement.
Courier Journal (Louisville, Ky.)
- Reporting, Producing and Photo/Video Summer 2019 Fellowships – Fellows will work with breaking news, features and enterprise content teams. They will participate in reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism. Fellows will participate in daily news meetings.
Detroit Free Press (Detroit)
- Social Media and Audience Engagement Intern — Post and schedule posts to our Free Press social accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, LinkedIn and YouTube. They will generate ideas for engaging readers around our journalism, including (but not limited to) the use of social videos, memes, GIFs, emojis, etc. Interns work with reporters and editors, particularly Freep Now, on how to drive audience engagement and social distribution of their reporting.
ESPN (Bristol, Conn.)
- Rhoden Fellowship — The Rhoden Fellows will report on the many facets of life on historically black colleges and universities (HBCU), essentially answering the question: What is it like to be an HBCU student in the 21st century? The fellows will serve as on-campus correspondents and will be expected to produce daily, weekly and monthly multimedia content for The Undefeated.
NBC & Telemundo (Boston)
- News Intern — Interns may be placed in any number of NBC units and roles, including studio production, field production, lifestyle and entertainment programming, consumer and investigative units or local reporting.
- Digital Intern — Responsibilities include writing stories, creating photo galleries, cutting video from the shows, posting to our social media channels and even occasionally going out in the field to provide social media coverage of station events.
- Telemundo News Intern — An internship with Telemundo Boston is a great opportunity for driven students to take their skill set to the next level. The internship will provide interns an opportunity to transition from college students to real-life professionals from the day-to-day challenges. This is a rigorous program designed exclusively for students who are eager and ready to learn from our industry professionals.
Reuters (Various Locations)
- Reuters Journalism Internship – Interns will get experience reporting on business, political and general news. They will contribute to both text and video platforms.
US News and World Report (Washington, D.C.)
- Education Intern — The primary responsibility of this individual will be to moderate U.S. News’ new, fast-growing User Reviews and Questions & Answers community, which was recently added to the Best Colleges product and has seen tremendous growth since its launch in August. This internship will also include additional communication tasks beyond comment moderation.
- Social Media Intern —The social media intern will create social media content for U.S. News’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts, assist with scheduling content on social platforms via a content management tool, develop comprehensive competitive insights across the social media landscape, brainstorm new ways to engage audiences on social platforms and grow the U.S. News brand among consumers and within key industries, among other responsibilities.
USA Today (Various locations)
- USA Today Breaking News Summer Internship — USA TODAY is in search of talented college students in the Washington, DC, New York City, and Los Angeles metropolitan areas looking for an enriching, part-time paid internship. Newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features, enterprise and social media teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills, handling reporting, writing, editing, copy editing, digital production, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism.
Virginia Media (Various locations)
- Virginia Media Internship Program — The Daily Press Media Group, which includes the which includes The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk), The Daily Press (Newport News), the Virginia Gazette (Williamsburg), Style Weekly (Richmond) and several community publications stretching from Richmond to the Outer Banks of North Carolina – is seeking interns for its program, offers a paid internship program in its editorial and advertising departments. Interns are assigned a mentor and participate in team meetings. Teamwork is underscored at every level in our newsroom. Deadlines for the summer internship program has passed but positions are still open on a rolling basis for other semesters.
Did we miss any? Send internship information to SPLC reporter Cory Dawson by email or at 202-974-6318. Follow him on Twitter at @Dawson_and_Co.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our occasional News Roundup.