Every month, the Student Press Law Center makes a list of paid journalism internships. Some with upcoming deadlines include SPLC itself and major broadcasters like CNN and CBS.
Student Press Law Center (DC) —March 1
- Student Press Law Center Reporting Intern — Reporters will get the opportunity to write breaking news, research complex story topics form longer form pieces and tell multimedia stories. The SPLC is seeking reporting interns for summer 2018. The internship is open to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent college graduates. The 10-week program runs from June 3 to Aug. 9, 2019. The living expense stipend for the summer internship is $4,900 ($490 a week).
- Student Press Law Center Legal Fellow — The SPLC is also looking for a law school student to serve as a legal fellow. Duties include conducting legal research, helping refine legal guides and fact sheets and writing stories for the SPLC.org website and The Report magazine. Past legal fellows have drafted amicus briefs, updated legal guides for the SPLC.org website and conducted survey research.
NBC Universal (Various Locations)
- CNBC Production/Reporting Summer 2019 Internship (DC) — Daily responsibilities and projects may include (but are not limited to) working directly with CNBC reporters, anchors, producers, editors and photographers, assisting producers at live locations across Washington, DC including Capitol Hill and the White House, pitching and reporting your own stories for CNBC.com, among other duties.
- NBC News and MSNBC Summer 2019 Internships (New York) — NBC’s general internship. The NBCUniversal Internship Program is an experience like no other. We offer diversity of opportunities, with unique internships across our iconic portfolio of brands. Through unparalleled access to the best in the business, hands-on training & one-of-a-kind networking events, our interns have the chance to influence change.
- NBC 4 News / Summer 2019 KNBC Internships (Universal City, CA) — Interns Research information, assist with investigations and source subjects for possible interviews and story development. They work closely with our consumer unit, making phone calls, interviewing viewers, alleged scammers and government agencies, upload daily stories to our website and listen to viewer tips/complaints, produce breaking news under deadline and pitch original enterprise stories.
The Skagway News (Skagway, AK)
- The Skagway News Summer Internship — The Skagway News, a bi-monthly newspaper, seeks summer interns for 2019. While a bi-monthly sounds relaxed, the workload can creep up come deadline. The reporter should have a lot of initiative, be able to multi-task and be responsible for themselves. We are looking for a person who will seek out stories on top of their assignments. The applicant should be comfortable using a camera, or at least be willing to learn, and should have some design experience. Bringing a camera of your own is highly recommended. Interns are a part of every aspect of the papers: stories, photos, design, etc. Applicant should be a rising junior or senior enrolled in a journalism school or a recent graduate of a journalism school. Pay is $800 per month for three months.
Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel
- Orlando Sentinel Internship (Orlando, FL) — The Sentinel offers paid internships in news, entertainment or sports reporting, video and still photography and multimedia production. Candidates must have completed basic college journalism/communication courses. Professional experience through a previous internship or freelance work is strongly preferred, though students whose experience is limited to campus media also will be considered. Although interns generally are current college students, we will consider recent college graduates. Anyone interning as a reporter or photographer must have the use of a car (the Sentinel will reimburse for mileage, tolls and parking), and photographers must have their own equipment. Interns are responsible for finding their own housing.
No Listed Deadline
New York Post
- Page Six Intern (New York) — Interns work closely with the team at PageSix.com to brainstorm ideas for breaking news, features, photo galleries and more. They perform some administrative tasks will involve transcribing and assisting in research for other reporters. Interns write stories about all things pop culture.
- Virginia Media Internship Program — The Daily Press Media Group, which includes the which includes The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk), The Daily Press (Newport News), the Virginia Gazette (Williamsburg), Style Weekly (Richmond) and several community publications stretching from Richmond to the Outer Banks of North Carolina – is seeking interns for its program, offers a paid internship program in its editorial and advertising departments. Interns are assigned a mentor and participate in team meetings. Teamwork is underscored at every level in our newsroom. Deadlines for the summer internship program has passed but positions are still open on a rolling basis for other semesters.
USA Today (Various locations)
- USA Today Breaking News Summer Internship — USA TODAY is in search of talented college students in the Washington, DC, New York City, and Los Angeles metropolitan areas looking for an enriching, part-time paid internship. Newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features, enterprise and social media teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills, handling reporting, writing, editing, copy editing, digital production, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism.
Bloomberg (Various locations)
- Summer News internship – Interns help report breaking news about financial markets, economies, technology, business, and governments. Interns will have the opportunity to pitch and write enterprise stories, conduct interviews and collaborate with our other consumer-facing media platforms.
Robert R. McCormick Foundation
- Journalism Intern, Democracy Program (Chicago) — The intern will focus on the Democracy Program’s work to support local journalism. The Program currently works with a diverse cohort of partners, including local news outlets and organizations that provide local journalists training and professional development. As the Foundation considers how to enhance its support for media in the Chicago region, the intern will be expected to lead research and analysis to inform the Program’s development.
The Boston Globe
- Summer Intern Program – Interns will work in the news department as general assignment reporters. Other interns will be hired for the sports, living/arts, and business departments. There are also intern positions in the photography department, and on the news copy desk. Interns will research and write articles along with assisting on larger projects and tasks based on the department they are placed in.
Courier Journal (Louisville, KY)
- Reporting, Producing and Photo/Video Summer 2019 Fellowships – Fellows will work with breaking news, features and enterprise content teams. They will participate in reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism. Fellows will participate in daily news meetings.
The Contemporary (Remote)
- The Contemporary College Student Correspondent — Correspondents will develop story ideas with The Contemporary’s editorial team and report on topics of their interest. Correspondents will be responsible for meeting deadlines set jointly with editors, helping to find photographs and/or graphics for their stories, and adhering to a code of journalistic ethics. Correspondents are paid $100 per article and earn incentives based on audience involvement.
ABC (Various Locations)
- Social & Assignment Desk Internship (DC) — Social and assignment desk interns will research stories, pitch ideas and potentially write articles. They will produce video, research stories, attend press conferences and hearings and coordinate logistics.
- “This Week” Production Internship, ABC News (DC) — “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” is ABC News flagship public affairs program featuring newsmaker interviews, political analysis and debates on a wide range of issues. As an intern with “This Week,” some of your responsibilities may include contributing ideas during editorial pitch meetings, curating background research for headliner interviews and roundtable segments, collaborating with our digital producer to produce content for digital and social media platforms, among other duties.
- ABC Investigative Unit Internship (New York) — The Investigative Unit produces investigative pieces for all of ABC News’ programming, including Good Morning America, World News Tonight with David Muir, Nightline and 20/20. Interns support producers and editors in the edit rooms for day-of-air pieces, provide tape research and transcription, provide producers with research for investigative broadcast pieces, pitch, report and write stories for The Blotter on ABCNews.com.
FiveThirtyEight (Various Locations)
- FiveThirtyEight Copy Editing Internship — You will assist our copy desk in editing stories for accuracy, numeracy, grammar and style, with a particular focus on doing fact-checking and research. You will work across all of coverage, interacting with our politics, sports, science and interactive teams. Interns can work in either New York or Washington D.C.
- FiveThirtyEight Podcast Internship (New York)— We’re hiring someone to help with production on our podcasts — including the FiveThirtyEight Politics show and potential miniseries. You will be integrated into the production and research for our shows, helping our producers and hosts every week and playing an integral role in what goes on the air.
- FiveThirtyEight Data Visualization Internship (New York) — The internship will include a mix of designing and producing charts and graphics to accompany stories on the site, assisting with reporting and research, creating original stories and — depending on your skill set and level of interest — contributing to larger interactive projects.
- FiveThirtyEight Sports Data Reporting Internship (New York) — You will have the chance to pitch your own stories and collaborate with the best reporters and editors in data journalism as a member of our Sports team for the summer. The internship will be a mix of writing, research and data-mining, and fact-checking.
CBS (Various locations)
- CBS News Summer Intern— Placement possibilities include The Evening News, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, CBS This Morning, CBS This Morning: Saturday, Sunday Morning, Newspath, News Radio, Talent Strategy, National Desk, CBSN, Press Office, Weekend News, News Marketing and the Investigative Unit. Assignments vary day-to-day and duties vary in each department. Interns can expect to learn fundamental news-gathering skills, find, confirm and report news stories, greet guests, log tapes, coordinate script, research stories, conduct preliminary interviews, assist during shoots, select footage, perform light clerical duties and assist producers and talent.
- CNN International Production Intern — Interns will learn how to set up a script with tape and how to use CNN’s tape database to find tapes for packages and sound bites for air. In the field, interns will have the opportunity to accompany producers on stories. Interns may book and greet show guests. They may also participate in show conception, how videotape is gathered and edited, the script-writing process, and how the program is built from an editorial and production perspective.
- CNN International Desk Intern — CNN international interns cover a wide range of subjects including terrorism, politics, business, social issues and trends. CNN International has an opportunity to experience, learn, and be exposed to the newsgathering cycle. Interns will observe and assist with workflow at the international desk on all shifts during our 24/7 operation. Interns will have the opportunity to “shadow” other units and departments within the CNN family who interact with the international desk. Interns may also assist associate producers, tape editor, assignment editors, and producers.
- CNN Health 2019 Intern — Interns learning how text stories and TV scripts are crafted, Contributing and writing stories and other content for CNN.com/health, strengthen research skills while contributing to live segments and package production, participate in staff meetings and may have the opportunity to accompany producers on story shoots, learn how to use various CNN databases for research and video to locate elements for segments and pieces, learn the story development process of how a story goes from an idea to a script and then through edit to become a TV or digital piece for our website and learn how we vet stories and research.
- CNN Newsource Intern — An intern at CNN Newsource will gather and publish day-of news content, both nationally and regionally, write scripts for broadcast news programming, create original packages for affiliate newscasts and websites, create and clear images for wire articles, gather regional news stories and content from and for affiliates, publish affiliate links on the CNN.com U.S. page and use social media to promote content and services.
- CNN Special Projects Intern — CNN Special Projects produces short-form, sponsored and unsponsored packages, segments and articles for CNN, HLN, and CNN.com. The group also handles the production of obituaries and the Impact Your World initiative. The Special Projects Intern will be charged with assisting Producers, Associate Producers and Editors with production needs. Interns fact-check, research and pitch story ideas, help with overall logistics and may have opportunities to write, produce and edit packages.
- CNN International Newsource Intern — International Newsource is CNN’s department handling the news relationships, newsgathering and distribution of video to and from partner broadcasters outside the United States. Interns gather and and distribute material to affiliates, program live signals for affiliate use, establish live on-location field reporting, broadcast script-writing and package production and provide affiliates with file video needs.
- CNN “The Row” Intern — The Row is the editorial quality-control nerve center for all CNN platforms, located in the main Atlanta newsroom. The Row is responsible for news group-wide script and story approval, including investigative scripts, documentaries and sensitive and controversial stories. – The Row ensures that stories meet high standards of story-telling, clarity, accuracy, quality, fairness and balance, while avoiding libel, defamation and use infringement issues. Interns fact-check, review pieces for editorial accuracy, fairness and balance, field editorial requests from CNN correspondents and help track projects.
- CNN Newsroom Editorial Intern — Interns assist with research, editing, writing, package producing, guest booking, learn from seasoned producers, writers, associate producers and other staff, gain insight to the workings of a newsroom and resources that provide news from around the world and understand the process of generating a story idea and getting it to air.
- CNN National Content Center Intern — The CNN National Content Center is the editorial hub of domestic newsgathering for CNN, HLN, CNN.com and more. The National Content Center works with field crews across the US plus our bureaus in New York, California, Colorado, DC, Georgia, Texas and Florida to bring viewers and CNN affiliates the most compelling news and in-depth coverage of events from around the nation. The assignment editors of the desk are responsible for gathering elements, pitching stories, contributing editorial information to reporting and much more. Interns learn all aspects of newsgathering from the moment a story is born to it making air and being distributed to affiliates. They are expected to work with National Desk editors to make editorial calls, search for stories and pitch to networks/bureaus, and more. The intern will also have the opportunity to observe other departments that work closely with the desk.
- CNN International Planning Intern — Interns will conduct research for use in show segments, call and email prospective guests for live shows, handle logistics for guest bookings, observe and transcribe interviews and other field shoots, observe video editing sessions, and assist with administrative tasks.
- CNN Digital News Trending Team Intern — The trending team and storytelling team is a crack collection of highly driven journalists with one goal: Stories that sing, infographics that awe, and content that’s smartly packaged; socially shared and sparks conversations. Interns take the news of the day and come up with awe-inspiring approaches to tell them. Interns don’t just react to what’s buzzing on the social sphere; they make stories go viral. Interns write fast, write often, and will have a whole lot of fun doing it
- Reuters Journalism Internship (Various Locations) – Interns will get experience reporting on business, political and general news. They will contribute to both text and video platforms.
Did we miss any? Send internship information to SPLC reporter Cory Dawson by email or at 202-974-6318. Follow him on Twitter at @Dawson_and_Co.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our occasional News Roundup.