WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 5
Welcome back to school! From Sept. 4-7 we’re posting links to key legal issues and topics to ensure your academic year is off to a great start.
Our Day Two topic is about how to be an effective journalism adviser.
- As the school year begins, make time to have “The Talk” with your students about their roles as journalists and leaders, and your supporting role. Here is a guide to having that conversation.
- Advice on how to handle secret sources and confidential information.
- Advisers and journalism students are best served by agreeing to ground rules.
- Media law protects students and advisers in different ways. Advisers need to understand when they’re on thin ice.
- SPLC hosted a webinar on “Advisers at Risk” where we discussed preventive measures to safeguard advisers, and what to do if things go bad and their job is threatened.
- A guide on offering sound education arguments against would-be censors, and real life examples of students and advisers who avoided or overcame censorship.
- Be proactive in adopting guidelines that establish high school student media as a forum for student expression.
- A clear school policy protecting college student press freedom can prevent many censorship conflicts.
Legal Hotline: As always, we’re here if you need help.