Legislative Bill 206 was introduced Nebraska on Jan. 11 2019. The primary sponsor in 2019 is Sen. Adam Morfield (District 46). Nebraska’s legislature is unique among all state legislatures in the U.S. because it has a single-house “unicameral” system.
LB 206 was up for hearing before the Judiciary Committee on Friday, Feb. 1 and 19 advocates testified in favor, two opposed, and other organizations expressing their opposition via letters. Read the official Judiciary Committee statement here.
Scroll down to “Recent news” for other stories.
- You can make a difference by contacting your state representatives to let them know why you support LB 206. Find out who your representatives are by entering your address into this interactive map.
- Distribute this flyer.
- You can find a list of Judiciary Committee members here. Here are tips on testifying at a legislative committee hearing.
- Refine your thoughts with talking pointsand other resources here.
- Do what you’re most comfortable with – a phone call, email, letter, social media post to lawmakers – or all.
- Get looped in with volunteer coordinators to let them know about your efforts. And, please get in touch if you are or were a student journalist (or adviser) who was the target of censorship, intimidation or retaliation:
- Like and follow the New Voices of Nebraska Facebook page.
- Enlist all your friends in Nebraska to raise their voices in support of this measure, which ensures the basic First Amendment rights of student journalists and protects their advisers from retaliation.
Why Nebraska needs New Voices
- Nebraska student journalists take fight for press rights to Legislature, Omaha World-Herald. Includes interview with students who say their journalism adviser at Millard West High School was punished for standing up for their First Amendment rights.
- Wayne State College dismisses two faculty from adviser positions, Student Press Law Center
- A list of incidents suppressing student expression in Nebraska, compiled by the Academic Freedom Coalition of Nebraska
You can see the list of national endorsers at the bottom of this page.
New Voices Bill hits Nebraska Senate Floor, The Catalyst, Millard West High School, Omaha, Neb. (3-14-2019)
Student journalists would get protection under bill endorsed by Missouri House, St. Louis Post-Dispatch (2-26-2019)
Editorial: LB 206 shows importance of autonomous student journalism, Wayne Stater, Wayne (Neb.) State College (2-15-2019)
Senator Morfeld brings Student Press Freedom LB206 before Nebraska’s Judiciary Committee, The Thunderbeat, Bellevue West Senior High School (2-7-2019)
Free speech protections proposed for student journalists, advisers, Unicameral Update, (2-1-2019)
Student journalists testify in favor of bill that would give student publications greater freedom, Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald (2-1-2019)
Bill protects student journalists, The Antelope, University of Nebraska-Kearney (1-31-2019)
EDITORIAL: Students deserve equal rights, Scottsbluff (Neb.) Star Herald (1-20-2019)
Students’ right to speak, letter to the editor, Kearney (Neb. ) Hub (7-9-2018)
OPNION: Support student journalism, Doane Online, Doane College, Crete, Neb. (2-21-2018)
Editorial, 2/9: Student journalists deserve more protection, Lincoln (Neb.) Journal-Star (2-9-2018)
Nebraska student journalists take fight for press rights to Legislature, Omaha World-Herald (2-19-2018)