To learn more about Kentucky New Voices, click here.
Current Status: New Voices has not yet been introduced in Kentucky in 2022.
In 2021 HB 187, sponsored by Rep. Attica Scott, was introduced on Jan. 10, 2021 and referred to the Committee on Committees. The bill died due to inaction before the end of the legislative session.
- Contact your state legislators to let them know why this bill is important to you. Find out who your legislators are here. Not sure what to say? Check out our phone script and letter-writing tips here.
- Refine your thoughts with talking points, a printable flyer and other resources here.
- Get looped in with volunteer coordinators to let them know about your efforts and learn about other ways to get involved: Hillary Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like and follow New Voices of Kentucky on Facebook.
- Enlist all your friends in Kentucky to raise their voices in support of this measure, which ensures the basic First Amendment rights of student journalists and protects their advisers from retaliation.
- If you are a student or adviser who was censored, intimidated or retaliated against, contact SPLC’s legal hotline.
Why Kentucky needs New Voices
- Kentucky university student newspaper struggles after loss of adviser and funding for student stipends Student Press Law Center (6-13-19)
- After controversial stories are cut, student journalists in Kentucky contact SPLC and launch an underground newspaper Student Press Law Center (3-7-16)
You can see the list of national endorsers at the bottom of this page.
- Student Press Freedom Day: Empower journalists to do their jobs Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, KY (3-1-21)
- New Voices Act gives more voice to student journalists The Manual Redeye, duPont Manual High School, Louisville, KY (2-7-21)
- Student Reporters Could be the Fix Local News Needs. Let’s Give Them the Legal Protections to Cover More than Pep Rallies and STEM Competitions The 74 (1-24-21)
- Student Voices, New Voices PLD Lamplighter, Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, Lexington, KY (2-14-20)