*Photo courtesty of jglazer75 via Wikimedia Commons / CC 2.0
Current status: HB 5554 and HB 6041, both sponsored by Rep. Doug Dubitsky, were introduced in the House of Representatives in January. Both bills broadly protect student speech from censorship, except in certain circumstances. SPLC is working with the sponsor to ensure the protects specifically protect the content of student publications.
• Get involved
• Why Connecticut needs New Voices
• Recent news
- Contact your state legislators to let them know why this legislation is important to you. Find out who your senator is here, and your assembly member here. Not sure what to say? Check out our phone script and letter-writing tips here.
- Learn the basics about the New York Senate, and the Assembly.
- Get your friends and colleagues involved. Download and share this flier, find answers to frequently asked questions, or find other resources here.
- Follow and share content from @NewVoicesNY on Twitter.
- Like and share posts on the New Voices of New York Facebook page.
- Get looped in with volunteer coordinators to let them know about your efforts. And, please get in touch if you are or were a student journalist (or adviser) who was the target of censorship, intimidation or retaliation:
- Mike Simons: email@example.com
- Katina Paron: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Connecticut needs New Voices
You can see the list of national endorsers at the bottom of this page.