Melissa is a senior at the University of Florida majoring in journalism. She is the managing print editor of the Independent Florida Alligator and has interned at the Las Vegas Review-Journal and Naples Daily News. She is fluent in Spanish.
Posts by Melissa
- Know your rights when covering a protest - These legal reminders and tips will help you avoid and/or deal with confrontations while covering protests.
- Introducing Active Voice Fellow Melissa Gomez - Melissa Gomez is here to tell you that you can’t fake it until you make it. A rising senior at the University of Florida, she’s taking this school year off to report full time for the Tampa Bay Times — and she attributes so much of her success to having been honest. “What if you’re… Continue reading Introducing Active Voice Fellow Melissa Gomez
- Video interview with Gretchen Letterman, journalism program coordinator in Pinellas County, Fla. - Gretchen Letterman is the program coordinator for Pinellas County’s journalism magnet program. She describes powerful stories her high school students have told.
- Bringing New Voices to Florida - While getting legislation in during the 2018 legislative year didn’t happen, there are supporters in Florida who are looking forward to bringing it to next year’s legislative session. Part of that hope comes from the fact that there are many other states, like New York and New Jersey, who have introduced New Voices legislation. I’m… Continue reading Bringing New Voices to Florida
- Interview with SPJ Florida’s president on New Voices - In December 2017, SPLC Active Voice Fellow Melissa Gomez spoke to Society of Professional Journalists Florida chapter President Christiana Lilly, who has talked to Florida students about how censorship has affected the ways they tell stories. Also learn about what New Voices legislation can do for you.
- 32 Photojournalists, Not One of them Female - Melissa Gomez is an 2017-18 Active Voice fellow reporting from Tampa, Fla. When I think about the professional newsrooms I’ve been in, I realize I have been fortunate enough to be able to look up to strong female role models. It’s part of the reason I wanted to be a part of Active Voice. Getting… Continue reading 32 Photojournalists, Not One of them Female