Every month, the Student Press Law Center makes a list of paid journalism internships. It’s never too early to get a head start on applying for internships for the upcoming semester, and major news outlets are offering some great opportunities this fall.
Did we miss any? Send an email to SPLC reporter Ginny Bixby to get internship information added.
Science News (Washington, D.C.)
- News Writing Internship — Interns work as full-time science writers under the guidance of Science News editors and writers. Based in Washington, D.C., Science News reports scientific findings and trends occurring worldwide. Interns generate many of their own story ideas, reporting and writing several articles per week, including news stories and longer features.
Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel
- Fall Editorial Internship — An internship at the Orlando Sentinel will take you into the heart of the ultimate journalism class: a digital newsroom in one of America’s newsiest metropolitan areas. The Sentinel offers paid internships during 2019 in news, entertainment or sports reporting, video and still photography and multimedia production.
NBC News (Washington, D.C.)
- Fall News Internship — Internships may include (but are not limited to): Politics & Foreign Affairs, NBC NewsChannel, Politics (for NBCNews.com), Andrea Mitchell Reports, Justice (Pete Williams), Nightly News/Weekend Nightly News (includes weekend hours), General Assignment, TODAY/Weekend TODAY (includes weekend hours), Meet The Press, Political Booking, Investigations, Technical Production, Hardball with Chris Matthews
MSNBC (New York City)
- Fall Internships — Internships may include (but are not limited to): Production (NBC Network News, TODAY, Dateline, Nightly News, MSNBC Dayside, Primetime and Weekends), Post-Production, Booking, News Partnerships, Public Relations, Archive Sales, Long Form, Investigations, Original Video, Assignment Desk, Breaking News Specials, Newsgathering, Digital Editorial (NBCNews.com, TODAY.com, MACH, THINK, LEARN, Diversity Verticals), Audience Research, Artworks, Digital Insights
CNBC (Washington, D.C.)
- Fall Production/Reporting Internship — Daily responsibilities and projects may include working directly with CNBC reporters, anchors, producers, editors and photographers, assisting producers at live locations across Washington, DC including Capitol Hill and the White House, pitching and reporting your own stories for CNBC.com, collaborating on podcast production, contributing to social media efforts across all platforms, and monitoring and transcribing live events.
Telemundo (New York and Fort Lee, NJ)
- Spanish-Language Fall Internships — Internships may include (but are not limited to): Assignment Desk, Creative Story Telling, Graphic Design, Daytime Talk Production, Sales Marketing. Daily responsibilities and projects may include (but are not limited to): Research information, assist with investigations and source subjects for possible interviews and story development, work closely with our consumer unit, making phone calls, interviewing viewers, alleged scammers and government agencies, upload daily stories to our website and listen to consumer tips/complaints, produce breaking news under deadline and pitch original enterprise stories
Hyperallergic (New York)
- Fall Editorial Internship — We’re looking for folks who love keeping a pulse on the art world and are passionate about journalism. The most important skill we’re looking for is strong writing, so send us your best clips! A penchant for puns is a plus. Both graduate and undergraduate students, with backgrounds in art history, journalism, or related fields, are encouraged to apply. While the internship will be writing-focused, interns at Hyperallergic will have the opportunity to experience a bit of everything that goes on in the office. Duties will vary from research and fact-checking on stories to assisting with Hyperallergic’s social media.
Reporters Committee For Freedom of the Press (Washington, D.C.)
- Fall Internship — Reporters Committee interns have the opportunity to work with staff on major projects, contribute to ongoing research, and report and write about media law issues for our website. The intern will support our communications team, as well as our development director and our legal team as needed. The Reporters Committee also provides its interns with regular opportunities to interact with working journalists, media lawyers and policymakers through seminars around Washington, D.C. Interns may attend congressional hearings, hear arguments in the U.S. Supreme Court or other federal appellate courts, and visit newsrooms and government agencies where they can learn firsthand about free press issues.
- Editorial Fellowship — Chicago magazine’s editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
International Center for Journalists (Washington, D.C.)
- Programs Internship — The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) seeks a paid intern for our programs department. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The internship is a great opportunity to build foundational experience in how international programs are run through tasks that involve coordinating travel logistics, maintaining databases, conducting due diligence, tracking finances, monitoring and evaluating projects, communicating impact through the Web and social media, researching media innovation for project development and other administrative tasks.
- IJNet Communications Internship — The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) seeks a part-time, paid intern for the International Journalists’ Network (IJNet), ICFJ’s online publication focused on journalism tips, tools and opportunities. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and internship dates are flexible. The internship is a great opportunity to build foundational experience in digital publishing and international journalism through tasks that involve managing social media, designing and coordinating engagement activities, tracking analytics and evaluating audience growth. Interns will also have the opportunity to contribute written and multimedia content for publishing on the website.
No Posted Deadline
Telemundo 20 (San Diego)
- Fall News & Digital Intern — NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego Internships provide students with real world experience and exposure to working in television industry.
amNY.com (New York)
- Fall Internship — amNY.com is looking for interns for fall. Depending upon the department, interns can be News or Features focused, but all are thoughtful in breaking news situations – able to think and act quickly to file copy and interview witnesses on the scene. The ideal candidates are meticulous, detail-minded journalists and self-motivated team players with endless ideas about online storytelling. Pluses: You are comfortable taking photos, as well as shooting and cutting social videos. Interns work out of amNewYork’s midtown office and in the field.
NBC4 LA (Los Angeles)
- Digital Journalism Fall Internship — The NBCUniversal Internship Program is an experience like no other. We offer diversity of opportunities, with unique internships across our iconic portfolio of brands. Through unparalleled access to the best in the business, hands-on training & one-of-a-kind networking events, our interns have the chance to influence change. Our interns are ambitious, innovative and savvy; they shape the way we do things. Here you can contribute as content creators, problem solvers & innovators. Here you can learn the power and possibilities of media and technology. Here you can go far. The Digital Journalism Internship Program is an opportunity for driven students to take their skill set to the next level. This is a rigorous program designed exclusively for students who already have a mastery of reporting, writing and AP style who are ready to learn more.
CNN (Washington, D.C.)
- Newsgathering Fall Internship — Newsgathering Interns will learn how CNN plans stories and orchestrates live breaking news coverage and daily programming. Interns will shadow and assist coverage managers, assignment editors, beat leaders, producers, live producers, photojournalists and news assistants.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our occasional News Roundup.