Every month, the Student Press Law Center makes a list of paid journalism internships. Good luck!
- Digital Internship – Digital interns will work on learning to cultivate and grow audiences through social media, content curation/creation, interactive development and more. AJC is looking for two types of interns; those skilled at writing/producing content and those familiar with interactive web development.
- Reporting Internship – Interns will report on braking news, shoot video and take photos. Interns will work on deadline
- Data Reporting Internship –Interns will work on data-driven stories and work with programing and Microsoft Excel and learn how to use SQL.
- Multimedia Photojournalism Internship – Interns will shot video and conduct interviews on camera. Interns will take photos and get experience with video production.
Mother Jones (Various Locations)
- Editorial Fellowship (San Francisco and Washington D.C.) – The editorial fellowship is a research-intensive foray into investigative journalism. Fellows work closely with reporters and editors on everything from fact-checking and researching to reporting. You’ll receive training in every aspect of the editorial process, from research tools and tactics to libel law and reporting strategies.
- Social Media Fellowship (San Francisco) – Social media fellows create web content, keep us current on social platforms, and enhance our coverage of breaking news. This fellow will work closely with Mother Jones’ digital news team across our three offices.
- Digital Fellowshipship (New York) – You will work closely with the digital and multimedia news teams on every aspect of modern publishing. You will collaborate with seasoned editors and reporters on pitching, scripting and executing sharply focused digital content of all kinds for our audiences on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and podcast platforms.
- Strategic Communications Fellowship (San Francisco) – This fellow will work with Mother Jones’ communications strategist—in collaboration with staff across the organization—to build buzz for Mother Jones investigations and breaking news, increase our impact, and engage with our audience. The communications fellow will assist in pitching television and radio appearances, building communication with key organizations and influencers, and identifying events and speaking opportunities for MoJo staff. He or she will help plan and promote Mother Jones events and test out new ways to engage with its readers.
- Art fellowship (Austin) – This fellowship is seeking digital creatives who have experience using the Adobe Creative Suite to produce design and digital illustration. Fellows will be encouraged to develop their creative production skills will be using the latest techniques and digital workflow for a wide variety of projects.
- Copy editing fellowship (Austin) – Fellows will edit Texas Tribune stories, everything from event programs to membership emails.
- Data visuals fellowship (Austin) – Fellows will use code and graphics to tell stories with data. They will work closely with reporters and editors to generate ideas, request public records and comb through the results. Fellows will create data-driven, visual stories.
- Engagement fellowship (Austin) – Fellows will work to engage audiences in politics and policy coverage across platforms. This may include packaging Tribune stories for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat; contributing to the daily newsletters; helping produce live discussions for readers; and pitching and editing short-form videos or other original content for social readers.
- Events fellowship (Austin) – Fellows will help coordinate, promote and execute some of the Tribune’s 60+ annual events. Fellows will be responsible for crafting event listings, devising and executing an event promotional strategy and managing event production tasks.
- Multimedia fellowship (Austin) –Fellows will create zippy social media shorts, live streaming breaking news and assist with long-form documentaries. Fellows will be able to pitch, shoot and edit Texas news stories for an online audience. They will work closely with the multimedia team and reporters to expand the Tribune’s growing online multimedia presence.
- Photography fellowship (Austin) – Assignments may range from a portrait of a political candidate to a protest at the state Capitol to a farm that’s affected by state policy.
- Reporting fellowship (Austin) – Fellows will produce daily news and enterprise stories. Fellows will have the opportunity to report on a topics ranging from state policy topics like health, education, immigration, criminal justice and the environment, as well as the state’s changing demographics.
- Reporting fellowship (Washington D.C.) – Reporting fellows in Washington D.C. will report on the Texas congressional delegation, U.S. House and Senate elections, and news in the nation’s capital.
The Nation Institute (New York)
- Editorial Internship at The Nation – Editorial interns experience a comprehensive immersion into The Nation and TheNation.com’s editorial processes. These interns’ primary responsibilities include fact-checking for the magazine and website, providing research support to Nation writers and editors, and assisting bloggers on TheNation.com.
- Editorial Internship at the Investigative Fund – The Don and Doris Shaffer Intern is dedicated to working with the Nation Institute’s Investigative Fund, assisting in the creation and distribution of long-form investigative pieces that appear in a wide variety of media outlets. This intern will conduct research for reporters and editors, do in-depth fact-checking, and assist with push-out on stories. This intern also occasionally works on Institute-related projects
The Washington Post
- Summer Internship Program – The Washington Post offers opportunities for interns across multiple departments within the organization. Interns will be placed in all beats and work closely with reporters, visual journalists, multiplatform editors, news and digital designers, graphics reporters and developers, social media producers, and audio producers based on personal interests.
Freedom Forum Institute and Newseum Institute (Multiple locations)
- Chips Quinn Scholars Program for Diversity in Journalism – The program matches qualified candidates with participating news organizations from across the country for 10- to 12-week paid internships in the summer. Selected scholars participate in an intense, one-week orientation/multimedia training workshop at the John Seigenthaler Center in Nashville, Tenn., in preparation for their internships.
Fox 40 (Sacramento, Calif.)
- News Internship – Assist the assignment desk in researching story ideas and coordinating crews of reporters and photographers in their daily assignments. Tasks may include retrieving file materials, answering telephones, making beat checks, and assisting assignment editors and reporters in setting up coverage plans and supporting live news broadcasts with program content creation.
Politico (Rosslyn, Va.)
- Editorial internship – Interns will have the opportunity to work at on our magazine, our breaking news desk, our politics desk and our Politico Pro policy teams.
The Baltimore Sun
- Mary J. Corey Journalism Internship – Interns will work with multiple editors in The Baltimore Sun newsroom. Depending on the candidate’s skills and interests, the internship may focus on reporting, visual journalism, or data journalism.
- Local and breaking news intern – Interns will report and write daily Long Island news stories and news features. They will also contribute to breaking news coverage.
- Opinion section intern – Interns will assist editorial staff with researching and writing opinion pieces.
- Multimedia intern – Interns will shoot videos and photos of news events and learn Newsday’s editing software system.
The Wall Street Journal (Various locations)
- Photography internship (New York) – Photography interns will research and commission photographs for digital and print editions of The Wall Street Journal. The majority of the work during the internship will be in daily photo editing and department production assistance.
- Video internship (New York) – The video intern’s primary duties will include supporting the production of editorially sound and visually compelling content, as well as publishing and promotion of videos both on the WSJ platform and off-platform.
- Design internship (New York) – The design intern will work with the graphics department and is responsible for driving innovative storytelling with design, graphics, interactives, data journalism and newsroom apps that are created for digital and print.
- Reporting internships in the Americas (Various locations)– Interns are placed in various U.S. cities and some bureaus in Canada or Latin America. Interns are likely to be assigned to teams that cover topics including corporate news, markets, legal, U.S. news, arts and culture, real-time business news and sports.
- Data science newsroom internship (New York) – The data science intern will work in the newsroom. The intern will be a computational journalist who will work with the WSJ Lab, a multi-disciplinary team that supports the newsroom with experimentation and research. The intern will work on developing new approaches for storytelling and defining best practices for algorithmic accountability reporting.
CBS News (New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles)
- Internship program – Interns will develop their news-gathering skills and will be responsible for finding, confirming and reporting on news stories. They will greet guests, log tapes, coordinate scripts, research stories and conduct preliminary interviews. Interns will have the opportunity to assist during shoots, select footage, perform light clerical duties and assist producers and talent.
- Internships – We offer internships in news, business, features and sports reporting, photography/videography, copy editing, design, and multimedia. (All reporting internships presume multimedia work.)
Reporters Committee For Freedom of the Press (Washington D.C.)
- Spring Journalism Intern – Interns write articles for our website, contribute to our guides on specific legal topics, and conduct research for other special projects. Interns are called on to provide significant contributions to our publications. Interns report and write on free press and media law issues for our website and guidebooks, and assist our staff and fellows in research.
The Wall Street Journal (New York)
- Reporting internship covering science and healthcare – Interns will write spot stories based on scientific and medical studies. They will work on explanatory pieces that analyze science and health angles related to breaking news and features stories that uncover trends in various fields of science and medicine, among other projects.
- Journalism Internship – Opportunities will be considered in all newsroom departments: metro, sports, business, graphics, copy editing, design, photo/video, entertainment, events, social media and lifestyle.
Dow Jones News Fund (Various locations)
- Multiplatform Editing – Interns hone their visual design, headline writing and line editing skills at one-week training sessions on college campuses before beginning internships Interns will have the opportunity to hone their visual design, headline writing and line editing skills. Interns will help publish high-quality print and digital content on tight deadlines for some of the nation’s most respected media outlets.
- Data Journalism Internship – Interns attend a week of training led by journalists from Investigative Reporters and Editors. Interns will learn skills like making Freedom of Information Act requests, learning computer-assisted reporting and analyzing and cleaning data. Interns will be able to tell rich, often hidden, stories and be able to apply their refined skills e skills to issues like education, government, criminal justice and the economy.
- Digital Media Internship – Interns learn the very latest multimedia techniques during a crash course at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University. From analyzing web traffic to social media management and designing responsive websites to creating audio and video content, interns learn how to stay ahead in our rapidly evolving media ecosystem in internships around the country.
- Business Reporting Internship – Interns enjoy a week in New York City learning from business journalists. Interns will be educated on finance, investing, labor issues and mergers and acquisitions while interning at respected business outlets and digital news services.
High Country News (Gunnison, Colo.)
- Winter / Spring internship – Interns will spend most of their time researching, interviewing, writing, and developing stories and content, for print and the website. They will report on natural resource, environmental and community issues in the 12 Western states.
- Fellowship – Fellows will spend time researching and developing articles and content for print and online.
Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, Sacramento and Washington D.C.)
- Summer Data Desk Internship (Los Angeles) – The Data Desk is a team of reporters and computer programmers that works with journalists in The Los Angeles Times’ newsroom to collect, organize, analyze and present large amounts of information. Interns will be learn how to use Amazon EC2, PostgreSQL, Python (R and SQL) and Django. Interns will analyze and share data, help build maps, apps and other digital projects and assist with long and short form storytelling.
- Summer Design Internship (Los Angeles) – Interns will work on page design and layout for the print edition of the Los Angeles Times. The will have the opportunity to work in multiple departments including news, features, sports and business.
- Summer Digital Engagement Internship (Los Angeles) – Interns will work with the audience engagement, digital editing and production departments on varying projects and tasks.
- Summer Reporting Internship (Lost Angeles and Sacramento) – Reporting interns will cover Metro/Local, Foreign/National, Sports, Business, Home, Image, Travel, Food, Mind & Body, Arts & Entertainment, Editorial Pages and do some work with our our Sacramento bureau. They will have the opportunity to pitch and produce their own stories and content.
- Summer Reporting Internship (Washington D.C.) – Interns will work with the Los Angeles Times Washington D.C. bureau and report on the U.S. House and Senate. With special focus on the California delegation. Interns will have the opportunity to pitch and produce their own stories and content.
- Summer Visual Journalism Internship (Los Angeles) – Interns will work with both the photography and video teams to take, develop and edit photos and videos. Applicants should have their own equipment.
- Summer Visualization and Data Internship (Los Angeles) – Visualization and Data department concentrates on breaking news, front-end development of the Lost Angeles Times website and print graphics. The Data Desk concentrates on database research and upkeep, back-end development of the website and project development. Interns will assist in both these departments on tasks and projects.
The Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
- Business Reporting Internship – Report on Minnesota business and trends. Pitch stories and create content for the online and print editions.
- Copy Editing Internship – Interns will work on deadline to copy edit and proofread content before it is placed in the print edition or published online.
- Digital Design Internship – Interns will develop a visual sense for interaction and experience design and gain a thorough understanding of modern web development. Interns will learn accessible ways to present information and tell stories, and will be working in an environment in which rigorous editing for visuals and content is the norm. They will have the opportunity to collaborate with experienced staff members to develop stories and visual elements.
- Digital Producer Internship – This producer uses reader-engagement best practices with superior social media, data-visualization and aggregating skills to optimize all content types on the suite of StarTribune.com digital platforms. This producer works closely with digital and social media team members throughout the newsroom to maximize the reach of Star Tribune content.
- Features Reporting Internship – Features interns will have the opportunity to pitch and develop their own ideas. They will work with veteran reporters to develop their skills. Features interns will write longer form, informational pieces and profiles on people and places around Minnesota.
- Metro Reporting Internship – Metro reporting interns will be given space to develop their own story ideas, while also being assigned stories. They will focus on reporting on events within the twin cities and surrounding suburbs, but primarily in Minneapolis.
- Photo/Video Journalist Internship – Visual interns will be placed on assignments for both still photography and for video storytelling. They will cover a wide variety of events, in news, business, sports, features, and they will be given the opportunity to create innovative content that adds a dimension beyond the daily report for the newspaper, website and mobile platforms.
- Print Design Internship – Interns will work on deadline with experienced staff to develop and create the print edition. Interns will work on multiple projects across and gain experience designing for all sections of the paper.
- Sports Reporting Internship – Sports reporting interns will have the opportunity to develop their own story ideas and work on assigned content. They will work closely with editors, photographers and other reporters to provide on stories. They will report on local and national sporting events.
The Tampa Bay Times
- Internships – Internships are offered in all departments, including news, photography, design and sales. Interns will work with staff to produce their own content and assist in larger projects and tasks within each department.
USA Today Network (Indianapolis and Phoenix)
- Pulliam Journalism Fellowship – Work in the newsroom of either the Indianapolis Star or the Arizona Republic. You will develop skills in news writing, editing and design, creating graphics and photo journalism.
CNBC (Various locations)
- Digital Media Internships (Englewood Cliffs, NJ) – This internship provides the opportunity to work for video production and social media for CNBC. Responsibilities include editing and producing news stories and working closely with social media editors. Interns have the ability to pitch, report, and write stories on a variety of topics, including careers, personal finance, entrepreneurship and lifestyle to target young people. Interns will be trained on DSLR camera operation, video editing techniques and editorial practices.
- Production/Reporting Internships(Washington D.C.) – Responsibilities include working directly with CNBC reporters, anchors, producers, editors and photographers, assisting producers at live locations across Washington, DC including Capitol Hill and the White House, pitching and reporting your own stories for CNBC.com, collaborating on podcast production, contributing to social media efforts across all platforms and monitoring and transcribing live events.
Dallas Morning News (Various locations)
- Reporting Internships (Dallas and Washington D.C.) The Dallas Morning News offers reporting internships in local news, business news, features, editorial and sports. Internships are also available at our Washington, D.C., bureau and at our Spanish-language publication, Al Día. All interns will be expected to write features, take smartphone photos and video, and actively use social media in the news-gathering process. All interns will be assigned to a specific department, but some could be asked to cover a narrowly focused beat — at the forefront of experiments to grow our digital audience. It is required that applicants for the Washington internship be college graduates, with previous experience covering politics or government preferred. Applicants for Al Día must be fluent in speaking and writing Spanish.
- Editorial Writing Internship (Dallas) – The main responsibility for this intern will be writing and researching online columns expressing his or her personal point of view, as well as aggregation posts that summarize others’ opinions. The intern will learn how to use audience metrics as a way to help inform topic selection, as well as assist in selection and publication of editorial cartoons and editorial research projects.
- Copy Editing and Audience Engagement Internship (Dallas) – Copy editing interns edit stories on deadline for accuracy, clarity, style, spelling and grammar for the print and digital publications, as well as write headlines appropriate for each platform.
- Photography Internship (Dallas) – Interns will be shooting, editing stills and video, working under tight deadline pressures, and utilizing social media on the job for professional purposes. Editors and other photographers will critique your visual storytelling and technique, including lighting, composition, lens work, cropping, toning and captions.
NBC (Various locations)
- NBC 4 Internships (Universal City, Calif.) – Responsibilities include researching information, assisting with investigations and sourcing subjects for possible interviews. Interns will be expected to upload daily stories to our website and listen to viewers complaints along with producing breaking news under deadline and pitch original enterprise stories.
- NBC 4 Digital Journalism Internships (New York) – Responsibilities include working with veteran digital journalists to write one to two stories a day, find sources, conduct interviews, compile research, build photo galleries, edit video and assist with social media and editorial planning. Interns will edit videos, research for field crews, and are expected to write and edit news stories for broadcast, web and social media.
- NBC News West Coast Internships (Universal City, Calif.) – Responsibilities include assisting producers in logging interviews and pictures, fact checking, hunting down characters and experts, trolling for and clearing social media for photos and video for broadcast use, as well as sourcing and clearing mainstream photos and videos. When possible, interns are sent on assignments in the field. They could be assisting on shooting interviews, standups and/or live shots
- NBC News and MSNBC Digital Internships (New York) – The continuously growing online presence of NBC News and NBC News Digital, which includes NBCNews.com, msnbc.com, TODAY.com, NBC Latino, NBC BLK, social media and all of the network’s digital initiatives. Interns will be asked to work with digital data analysis, original video production, conducting research analytics and design.
- NBC News and MSNBC Internships (Washington D.C.) – Responsibilities include researching stories and leads, preparing research materials for correspondent and producers from various sources, including editorial notes for correspondent and producers. For Meet The Press, responsibilities include assisting in maintaining extensive political research files as well as in compiling research for the show and other projects, including 1947: Meet the Press Podcast and “MTP Daily” on MSNBC. Interns will field-produce occasional shoots and/or interviews and contribute to print versions of reports posted on NBCNews.com.
Telemundo (New York and New Jersey)
- Telemundo Bilingual Journalism Internship – Responsibilities include researching, assisting with investigations, developing stories, working closely with our consumer unit, making phone calls, interviewing viewers, alleged scammers and government agencies, uploading daily stories to our website, listening to viewers complaints, producing breaking news under deadline and pitch original enterprise stories. Applicants must be fluent in Spanish.
American Graphics Institute (Boston)
- Business and technology reporting internship – Interns will cover technology and business news that relates to publishing, marketing, advertising, and media.
ESPN (London, UK)
- Editorial internship –This internship lasts 12 months starting in 2019. They are looking for interns with a strong sports knowledge who are creative and understand the digital world. You would help manage and contribute to ESPN’s website and mobile app entities for ESPN.co.uk, ESPNFC, ESPNCricinfo and ESPN F1. Duties include writing source material, uploading content, research, photo management and blog maintenance.
- Reporter internship – Interns will write news, business, sports and/or feature stories for print and online. Interns may be assigned to the Sports, Power and Policy, News Features, Features and Entertainment, Business, or Health desks depending upon their background and interests.
- Photojournalism internship – Interns take news and sports photographs and will produce multimedia stories for print and online.
- Page production internship – Interns will edit copy, write headlines and photo captions, proofread pages and articles, and contribute to the page design.
- Audience development internship – Interns will assist with community management efforts. Interns will monitor a social media scheduled for the publication. They will organize and draft practice and training materials under the supervision of staffers. They will help identify underserved audiences and their needs, specifically in the millennial demographic for The Inquirer.
- Videographer internship – Interns will take and edit news, sports and entertainment videos and assist in the production of multimedia presentations.
No Listed Deadline
- “20/20” ABC News Production Internship (New York) – 20/20 is the prime time news magazine program. 20/20 brings you hard-hitting investigative reports, newsmaker interviews and compelling human interest and feature stories. Responsibilities include assisting staff with all aspects of production, booking, assisting with breaking news crashes, logging and transcribing, shoot prep, shoot assistance and edit support, ordering tapes, scanning photos and running errands, story development and research, learning to utilize internal ABC technical media search and management systems.
- ABC News Early Morning News Production Internship (New York) – The ABC News Early Morning team produces two hours of overnight news programming on the ABC network-World News Now and America This Morning while also servicing Good Morning America production needs. Responsibilities include assisting producers with all aspects of news gathering and production, building story proposal lists, assisting with delivery of show production elements/rundowns, etc., and traveling for story shoots. Interns are encouraged to write and edit stories along with pitching and producing segments for air.
- ABC News Investigative Unit Reporting Internship (New York) – The Investigative Unit produces investigative pieces for all of ABC News’ programming, including Good Morning America, World News Tonight with David Muir, Nightline and 20/20. In addition to on-air broadcasting, the unit also runs a popular investigative website, The Blotter on ABCNews.com. Responsibilities include supporting producers and editors in the edit rooms for day-of-air pieces, providing tape research and transcription, assisting producers with research for investigative broadcast pieces. Interns will be expected to pitch, report and write stories for The Blotter.
- “Good Morning America” Production Internship (New York) – Responsibilities include participating in some editorial meetings and in all phases of television production, assisting in show production, assisting in live segments and assisting with general office needs.
- NewsOne Sports Production Internship (New York) –You will be supporting both the sports and news departments at NewsOne, an affiliate news service of ABC News. For sports, you will be helping distribute stories to a local, regional and national audience along with editing news of the day, filling video and highlights, transcribing sports related interviews and press conferences and maintaining the archives. For news, you will be working primarily on video production and assisting on video requests.
- NewsOne Video Production Internship (New York) – You will be supporting the video production department at NewsOne, an affiliate news service of ABC News. Responsibilities include assisting with video requests, authoring advisories and alerts, interfacing with affiliates and clients, processing video requests, cutting VOSOTs and editing using Avid non-linear editing system. Interns will assist NewsOne correspondents and guests and assist production associates and associate producers on local shoots
- “Nightline” Production Internship (New York) – The 30-minute broadcast brings viewers inside stories ranging from breaking news to feature stories. Responsibilities include assisting with daily logging elements, going on shoots and assisting with administrative duties within the office. Interns will be exposed to all aspects of story development and production and are given the opportunity to participate in editorial meetings.
Atlantic Media (New York and Washington D.C.)
- Business fellowship – Business fellows will trained and participate in the inner workings of Atlantic Media and how the company functions financially. Fellows will have the opportunity to work with business development and sales, communications and public relations. Fellows will gain experience with analytics, data visualization, research, marketing, and product management.
- Editorial fellowship – Editorial fellows will be able to contribute to the content produced by Atlantic Media. They will have the opportunity to do reporting, research, video production and copy editing. They will also work on producing branded content, blogging for Atlantic Media, multimedia editing and working with social media.
Bloomberg (Various locations)
- News internship – Interns help report breaking news about financial markets, economies, technology, business and governments. Interns may also pitch and write enterprise stories, conduct interviews and collaborate with our other consumer-facing media platforms.
The Boston Globe
- Summer Intern Program – Interns will work in the News Department as general assignment reporters. Other intern reporters will be hired for the Sports, Living/Arts, and Business departments. There are also intern positions in the Photography department, and on the News copy desk. Interns will research and write articles along with assisting on larger projects and tasks based on the department they are placed in.
Fox News (Los Angeles, New York and Washington D.C.)
- Journalism and Digital internships – Internship applications are open for TV production, radio, web, digital and corporate opportunities. Students may be placed on Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, Fox News Radio, Fox News Headlines 24/7, Foxnews.com, Foxbusiness.com, Foxnewsmagazine.com, Foxnewsinsider.com, or Foxnation.com based on their prior experience and interests as determined in the interview process.
KOMO 4 News (Seattle)
- Part-time Weather Intern – Interns will assist in creating weather graphics to be used during the TV weather forecast. They will also have opportunity to learn how to make their own forecasts and practice their writing skills in writing a forecast for the KOMONews.com website. Interns will also be able to get valuable practice in presenting a weather forecast in front of the “green screen” and can receive assistance in recording a demo reel to send to prospective broadcast employers.
USA Today Network (Various locations)
- News Intern (Carlsbad, N.M.) – Newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features and enterprise content teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills, handling reporting, writing, editing, copy desk work, online production assignments, research, database work, investigative work, audio and visual journalism.
- Mobile / Social Fall Internship (Tysons, Va.) – This position will report in to the Social-Mobile team and work specifically with the team of audience editors. Newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features, enterprise and social media teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our occasional News Roundup.